Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid rootkit ...

Stupid rootkit ...

Just found out that the Bioshock demo installed a f**king rootkit on my computer.

I just did a rootkitrevealer scan and secuROM showed up. Now I have to jump through hoops to remove secuROM. I already found the f**king folder and it won't remove just by deleting. I guess now I am going to waste my time doing research of this piece of sh*t software.

I am going to tell all my friends now and urge them not to buy this or any other secuROM game.

Stupid companies never learn. All DRM is cracked eventually and all they are doing is messing with legit customers.

Ya I know, very stupid

SecuROM is annoying, stupid and invasive. It limits the legitimate use of the software and interferes with antivirus programs and system utilities. Its undisclosed inclusion in Bioshock was insulting and unnecessary, but it is NOT a rootkit. It shows up on rootkit scans because it makes use of a malformed registry key. If you can find one recognized security expert to corroborate your rootkit claim, I'd love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by debacler View Post
    SecuROM is annoying, stupid and invasive. It limits the legitimate use of the software and interferes with antivirus programs and system utilities. Its undisclosed inclusion in Bioshock was insulting and unnecessary, but it is NOT a rootkit. It shows up on rootkit scans because it makes use of a malformed registry key. If you can find one recognized security expert to corroborate your rootkit claim, I'd love to hear about it.
    I don't really care what it is call. The net called it a rootkit. It may be right and it may be wrong.

Let's call it spyware then. Software companies that would install stuff on my computer secretly and interferes with my other legit software do NOT deserve my money.

http://www.corpnews.com/node/177

Recent read that I just saw. Pretty interesting.

Every Software wich hides on lowest Systemlevel (it wont be detected easy) with higher previleges than administrator is by definition a rootkit.
    Hackers or Virus/Trojan creators could use this easily to invade your system (as it happened before with other rootkits).

Quote Originally Posted by Xiayohen View Post

Fine. I don't care what it is call and I am not a computer security expert.

Let's call it malware, spyware or a trojan. It interferes with normal operation of my computer and it is done SECRETLY without my knowledge.

I am going to tell all my friends and ask them not to buy anything with SecuROM on it.

Nope it isn't a rootkit. Trolls are rampant and ignorance is the soup of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiayohen View Post

Well, I got some news....

Here's the one that says it doesn't have rootkit...http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...a-rootkit.html

Other news says it does contain rootkit....http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/7055/

So...

Guys .. who cares whether it is a rootkit or it is not.

It is spyware, malware, secret stuff that screws with my computer. And I would never give anyone who uses SecuROM another cent and I will let every single of my game playing friends know about this.

MOS, the link that promotes the rootkit situation doesn't seem to have a very reasonable tech answer about it. He just said he'd wait about it and that's it.

Just saying though, haha.

That is how you voice your dislike or disatisfaction, purchase or don't. By telling your friends your opinion and recommending they don't purchase is great. Companies who sell products provide positive advertisement trying to entice buyers, they hate it when too much negative advertisement surfaces. If it gets extreme enough, they will usually compromise to keep sales up. So do it, recommend to whomever, and maybe your voices will be heard by their bookeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by narius View Post
    I don't really care what it is call. The net called it a rootkit. It may be right and it may be wrong.

Let's call it spyware then. Software companies that would install stuff on my computer secretly and interferes with my other legit software do NOT deserve my money.
    I fully support and share your sentiment, but labels are important here. Sensationalizing and making false accusations won't help our cause. I don't think SecuROM would meet the criterea for spyware either. I prefer the broader term malware for SecuROM, which seems fairly accurate given its adverse effect on my computer.

In any case, we certainly agree that SecuROM shouldn't have been included (particularly without prior disclosure) and ought to be removed. I also have no intentions of supporting companies that treat their customers in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by gunr View Post
    That is how you voice your dislike or disatisfaction, purchase or don't. By telling your friends your opinion and recommending they don't purchase is great. Companies who sell products provide positive advertisement trying to entice buyers, they hate it when too much negative advertisement surfaces. If it gets extreme enough, they will usually compromise to keep sales up. So do it, recommend to whomever, and maybe your voices will be heard by their bookeepers.
    Yeh. Bioshock is a great game and I know I am missing out. But I am not giving a cent to companies using SecuROM.

And I will talk about it in as many internet forum as I can and hopefully Take 2 will learn something.

Why the ☺☺☺☺ would you have spyware for something you've paid for, though? Companies should be burned to ashes for doing something like this.

I fully support and share your sentiment, but labels are important here. Sensationalizing and making false accusations won't help our cause. I don't think SecuROM would meet the criterea for spyware either. I prefer the broader term malware for SecuROM, which seems fairly accurate given its adverse effect on my computer.

In any case, we certainly agree that SecuROM shouldn't have been included (particularly without prior disclosure) and ought to be removed. I also have no intentions of supporting companies that treat their customers in this manner.
    Malware is fine with me. I am pretty angry about the whole thing particularly because I have to JUMP THROUGH HOOPS to remove secuROM. F*ck them.

They do label software with SecuROM, right? If so, I will avoid it like a plague. The thing that irks me that most is that why would a FREAKING DEMO has secuROM on it?

Now it is time to go onto gamefaq to rail about it although I suspect lots of people are already doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by M-O-S View Post
    Why the ☺☺☺☺ would you have spyware for something you've paid for, though? Companies should be burned to ashes for doing something like this.
    Actually it is WORSE. The Bioshock DEMO has secuROM on it and they did not tell anyone.

Normally I don't go all ballistic and rail about stuff on forums. This one really pushes me over the limit. I have to spend time figure out how to remove this piece of sh*t.

Why would you recommend that. Do you really condone vilence towards a company just because they included something you don't like in their software.

Quote Originally Posted by gunr View Post
    Why would you recommend that. Do you really condone vilence towards a company just because they included something you don't like in their software.
    That is properly just a figure of speech but I cannot speak for him.

What I *will* condone is no one buys their product and hopefully they go bankrupt.

I will condone that also, as I stated above. Make your voice heard, and your dollars scarce. Forgot to mention stockholders love returns, no return or dividend and changes are made. Take note of Rockstar Games, and no one had to burn down the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodal View Post
    Hackers or Virus/Trojan creators could use this easily to invade your system (as it happened before with other rootkits).
    But no one has managed such a feat.

Malware is fine with me. I am pretty angry about the whole thing particularly because I have to JUMP THROUGH HOOPS to remove secuROM. F*ck them.

They do label software with SecuROM, right? If so, I will avoid it like a plague. The thing that irks me that most is that why would a FREAKING DEMO has secuROM on it?

Now it is time to go onto gamefaq to rail about it although I suspect lots of people are already doing so.
    Demo software uses SecuROM to prevent hackers from building a cracked version from the "clean" demo executable. Not saying it's right, but this is the rationale.

Unfortunately, publishers are not yet required to label software with the type of copy protection used. It's also becoming more and more difficult to find out what will be used prior to the software's release. About the only thing we can do is wait a few days after release before purchasing.

Glad to hear you're getting the word out. Hopefully there are enough of us to make the use of SecuROM unprofitable for publishers.

Just because it hasent been done now it doesnt mean it cant be done.

Demo software uses SecuROM to prevent hackers from building a cracked version from the "clean" demo executable. Not saying it's right, but this is the rationale.
    Fu*k their rationale. First, they should TELL US. It is 100% better if i was told and have a CHOICE of not continuing to install their all FU*KED UP demo.

Secondly, nothing so far has prevented hackers from building a cracked version. Not secuROM, not other DRM. If they don't understand this after 20 years of PC gaming business, they don't deserve to be in business.

I can tolerate some level of DRM, if laballed openly but not this SH*T.

securom is not spyware, either. it is helping finish the install of your game, and so it is putting the exe properly on your computer, which is raising a red flag from your anti-virus software, but this is NOT a rootkit. we do not open your computer up to viruses nor are we looking for secret information or a backdoor to your admin settings.

it installs a registry key, also, but securom is not a rootkit.

Fu*k their rationale. First, they should TELL US. It is 100% better if i was told and have a CHOICE of not continuing to install their all FU*KED UP demo.

Secondly, nothing so far has prevented hackers from building a cracked version. Not secuROM, not other DRM. If they don't understand this after 20 years of PC gaming business, they don't deserve to be in business.

securom is not on the demo at all.

Just because it hasent been done now it doesnt mean it cant be done.
    Tin hat?

User Access Service
    SecuROM™ will install a Windows™ service module called "User Access Service" (UAService) on your system. This is a standard interface commonly used by several other applications as well. It is no spyware or rootkit at all. This module has been developed to enable users without Windows™ administrator rights the ability to access all SecuROM™ features. Please be assured that this service is installed only for security and convenience purposes. Since it is a standard Windows™ service, you can stop and delete this service, like any other Windows™ service. If deleted, the access for non-administrator users to SecuROM™ protected applications will be affected.
    http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=3

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    securom is not on the demo at all.
    Are you accusing me of LYING? What the f*ck did I spend the last two hours of removing then? Here is a FREAKING link of the problem:

http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/...ncluding-demo/

It looks like I am NOT the only one who has encounter the problem.

As opposed to apologizing and giving us instructions of how to remove the D*MN malware, you have the balls to come out and LIE????

It looks like I made the right decisions of NOT giving you a cent and telling all my friends about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    securom is not spyware, either. it is helping finish the install of your game, and so it is putting the exe properly on your computer, which is raising a red flag from your anti-virus software, but this is NOT a rootkit. we do not open your computer up to viruses nor are we looking for secret information or a backdoor to your admin settings.

it installs a registry key, also, but securom is not a rootkit.
    It is MALWARE. It installed itself without tell you (on the Demo). It messes with the operations of your computer and you canNOT easily remove it. You can't just delete the registry entry.

You cannot delete their folder (because they have files with weird file names) and they hid their folders.

Agreed. By punishing everyone, they've bought themselves maybe a week. I'm surprised they consider it worthwhile. I'd be interested to see the sales data that shows SecuROM benefits their profits.

You cannot delete their folder (because they have files with weird file names) and they hid their folders.
    Fisher price my first computer? You can delete that folder, rather easily I might add but "My Computer" may not be so willing.

Anyways, just by sweet talking SecuROM doesnt get better.
    People are aware of the pestilence called SecuROM or Starforce or whatever.
    Get rid of the ☺☺☺☺ ASAP.

Get rid of the ☺☺☺☺ ASAP.
    Aye indeed, it's not worth the hassle imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyorisu View Post
    Yeh .. those strange looking files just cannot be deleted.

I think you probably can most likely can delete them if you start up in boot or something called like that, which I forgot.

Yeh .. those strange looking files just cannot be deleted.
    Try this http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Anything can be deleted, if you have the knowlege. The key is to prevent OS reload, data loss.

I think you probably can most likely can delete them if you start up in boot or something called like that, which I forgot.
    Thanks for the tip. May be there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I guess now I am to spend MORE OF MY TIME to fix this F*CKING disgrace. Good job, Take 2! I hope you are happy now.

All this pain for a FREAKING DEMO .. no game, not even bioshock is worth this aggravation.

Why would you need to "fix" the problem when there really is no problem? Just enjoy the game and let others moan about nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast