Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civ V Demo will be available 9/21 at 10am EDT

Civ V Demo will be available 9/21 at 10am EDT

This has been asked in a bunch of threads, so here is the centralized answer: The demo will be available tomorrow (9/21) at 10am EDT, the same time as the full game unlocks.

It'll be available worldwide.

The demo will allow you to play 150 turns. You get a choice between 3 civilizations to play as, and you can't change the map settings (Small Continents) or game speed (Standard.) The tech tree is also limited to everything up to the medieval era.
    Last edited by 2K Greg; 09-20-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks, Greg.

Also... First!

No word on restrictions?

I updated the first post with some details

Thanks for the info!

Thanks Greg for posting this.

Btw Greg, how do you feel about the release of Civ V being less than 17 hours away? I know you've already got to play around with Civ V, but I would still like to now.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaCode View Post

Btw Greg, how do you feel about the release of Civ V being less than 17 hours away? I know you've already got to play around with Civ V, but I would still like to now.
    I wanna know too Greg, did you preorder Civ V or are you sick of it already? It must be exhausting listening to us beg for more info... speaking of which:

Can you tell us what three civs? I bet its egypt, rome and china.

Thanx Greg.

Medieval time eh? More then enough time for the armies of Rome to destroy all!...uhm Rome is one of the 3 civs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bbiaso View Post
    I wanna know too Greg, did you preorder Civ V or are you sick of it already? It must be exhausting listening to us beg for more info... speaking of which:

Can you tell us what three civs? I bet its egypt, rome and china.
    Well I get it for free so I didn't have to pre-order - but if I end up not getting a Special Edition for free, I am going to buy it in a heartbeat. I am a huge D&D nerd and those Civ miniatures must be added to my collection!

But no I am not sick of Civilization V. I spent most of my weekend playing a game (as the Japanese, to atone for that horrible performance in the live stream!) much to my wife's chagrin.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaCode View Post

It's busy! The forum activity here is already WAY higher than it was even as recently as Friday, and it can be tough to keep up! Plus there's lots of other work I need to get done!

@2k Greg - are we able to save in the demo, and load once it's unlocked in our region?

Quote Originally Posted by humptygrumpty View Post
    @2k Greg - are we able to save in the demo, and load once it's unlocked in our region?
    That's a very good question and one I never thought to ask! I have a feeling this will not work but I will check anyway

Well I'm hoping here for stuff that valve does with all it's releases, as in you don't need to download the engine again if you installed let's say TF2 for you to play Portal2 because it's the same engine. So the ammount of data you have to download is less. So I'm basically hoping for this:

If we preloaded Civ5 do we still have to download the whole Demo probably 1gb or more? Speaking for us International release date folk.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    That's a very good question and one I never thought to ask! I have a feeling this will not work but I will check anyway
    Thanking you

Since both UPS and FedEx deliver after 5pm for me, I will be playing the demo for a fair bit tomorrow...One of these days, all pre-orders will come with the Steam or D2D code to let us play it while we wait for our physical copy to be delivered.

Well I get it for free so I didn't have to pre-order - but if I end up not getting a Special Edition for free, I am going to buy it in a heartbeat. I am a huge D&D nerd and those Civ miniatures must be added to my collection!

But no I am not sick of Civilization V. I spent most of my weekend playing a game (as the Japanese, to atone for that horrible performance in the live stream!) much to my wife's chagrin.

It's busy! The forum activity here is already WAY higher than it was even as recently as Friday, and it can be tough to keep up! Plus there's lots of other work I need to get done!
    Oh, your married

So uhm Greg, any early info about which civs we get to try out? "Wink, wink, nodge, nodge"

What's the size of the demo? I'm trying to clear some space on my computer.

Is it possible to pre-download the demo like you can for the full version?
    Also, where do you download the demo from? STeam?

It'll be available worldwide.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

How many turns is the full game?

[QUOTE=2K Greg;1133611]The demo will allow you to play 150 turns./QUOTE]

How many turns is the full game from 4000 BC to 2050 AD?

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaru View Post
    How many turns is the full game from 4000 BC to 2050 AD?
    Depends on speed but I'd guess same amount as Civ IV

How many?

Quote Originally Posted by bbiaso View Post
    Depends on speed but I'd guess same amount as Civ IV
    How many is that?

Off the top of my head I believe a regular "Standard" speed game is 500 turns until 2050 AD

super pumped!!!

Hey Greg, I'm kinda new to the series (only played Civ Rev) But I still don't understand conquest I've looked at reviews and things but it sounds the same as domination. Can you clear this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
    Hey Greg, I'm kinda new to the series (only played Civ Rev) But I still don't understand conquest I've looked at reviews and things but it sounds the same as domination. Can you clear this up?
    Conquest was thrown out in this game. Domination is sort of a combination of the two victory conditions, but easier to achieve (as long as you don't lose your capital). To win a domination victory, you need to have the last remaining capital in the game.

Well.. 10 am for the demo kinda blows (would have been great to get a taste tonight at midnight before i get the full copy tomorrow), but I can also understand why they had to do it this way. Still.. I wouldnt mind being up for several hours exploring those 250 turns lol

Bah! You did better than I could at that level of play... held that choke point until the artillery showed up... and more importantly; when the tide turned against you ->refrained from "accidentally" nudging the tuner in such a way that it creates a miraculous nuke near the French aggressor.

P.S. Thanks for the hard work! I know I'm going to love this game!

Well, I also would like to know will demo be available at the same time of the official game release and where will it be downloadable from? Steam, official civ page, some third sorces? Been practicing for a couple of nights now on civIV again, couldn help myself! TNX

Quote Originally Posted by duxykakis View Post
    Well, I also would like to know will demo be available at the same time of the official game release and where will it be downloadable from? Steam, official civ page, some third sorces? Been practicing for a couple of nights now on civIV again, couldn help myself! TNX
    AFAIK demo will be only at Steam. It will be released worldwide at the same time as NA release of Civ5.

thanks A LOT!

steam

hate how civ5/2k keeps forcing us to use steam even for the demo. it's a cheap trick, steam is unreliable, low security, large ammount of hackers and annoying ping, aswell as the fact they freeze countires as south africa from using it... ohwell, civ5 is worth the pain of using steam...

btw, have I counted right, demo eta: ~1h 3min?
    Last edited by sjet; 09-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjet View Post
    hate how civ5/2k keeps forcing us to use steam even for the demo. it's a cheap trick,
    Well I wouldnt exactly call it cheap:-)

Quote Originally Posted by mj2c View Post
    Well I wouldnt exactly call it cheap:-)
    mean it's cheap to use it instead of releasing the game the way games are supposed to be released, price-wise it's not obviously lol

Never used steam before so went to the site to see it the demo was up and noticed they charge some eye watering prices - £30 for Civ 5 and they are claiming that is *£10 off*. Who the hell would buy from them at those prices???
    Mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by sjet View Post
    hate how civ5/2k keeps forcing us to use steam even for the demo. it's a cheap trick, steam is unreliable, low security, large ammount of hackers and annoying ping, aswell as the fact they freeze countires as south africa from using it... ohwell, civ5 is worth the pain of using steam...

btw, have I counted right, demo eta: ~1h 3min?
    I have steam since HL2, the only time it was unreliable was when HL2 launched.

It's pretty damn high security. It's your fault if someone gets a keyloger or Trojan into your PC. Large amounts of hackers? What are you playing on VAC-less TF2 servers or something? Annoying ping? What? Ping is peer to peer or dedicated peer to server. Games depends on dedicated servers and other players steam has nothing to do with ping.

Be prepared for a long wait to install the demo as I remember when Empire Total War came out and it took over 2 hours to download. Everyone kept trying to switch locations for a faster speed, but were lucky to get over 75kb/s (I think) unless its changed on there?

Everyone stops their download till I've got my demo installed, capish?!

So where is that demo? It's past 10am, If I'm not mistaken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast