Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Irrational Games making a comeback

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,333

    Irrational Games making a comeback

    It seems Irrational Games is hiring again according to the official website. There are currently two job listings available: IT manager and senior programmer.

    http://irrationalgames.com/studio/careers/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    347
    I honestly don't understand. weren't they closed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    A lighthouse in Budapest
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by DeluxedMac View Post
    I honestly don't understand. weren't they closed?
    They were never officially closed, just "winding down". They are going for small downloadable games now. It sure isn't gonna be a AAA project, but looks like they at least have a concept now that they need a programmer for. Which is good news anyhow.

    I sure wish they would help to complete The Black Glove. One could dream.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    Well that's interesting news. Guess Levine DID decide to keep the Irrational name. sm

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarmech View Post
    Well that's interesting news. Guess Levine DID decide to keep the Irrational name. sm
    Wait, didn't he just leave to create a new studio or did he just reduce his team considerably?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,050
    And all those news articles claimed that Irrational Games was closing.

    Media is so click-baity nowadays.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by biccs_pudding View Post
    They were never officially closed, just "winding down". They are going for small downloadable games now. It sure isn't gonna be a AAA project, but looks like they at least have a concept now that they need a programmer for. Which is good news anyhow.

    I sure wish they would help to complete The Black Glove. One could dream.
    Eh. The Black Glove had nice atmosphere, but I'm not paying money for a walking simulator, which is why it didn't reach its Kickstarter goal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick View Post
    Eh. The Black Glove had nice atmosphere, but I'm not paying money for a walking simulator, which is why it didn't reach its Kickstarter goal.
    We don't know for certain that The Black Glove was just a "walking simulator." I think their Kickstarter failed because the trailers were extremely nebulous. Looked more like an adventure game to me, which is a legit genre.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by TSCR View Post
    And all those news articles claimed that Irrational Games was closing.

    Media is so click-baity nowadays.
    I don't think they were that far off the mark. Ken Levine gutted a company of about 100+ employees and reduced payroll to about 10-15. Irrational as we knew it - a large, AAA developer - is no more.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by TSCR View Post
    And all those news articles claimed that Irrational Games was closing.

    Media is so click-baity nowadays.
    They said the same of 2K Marin at some point after the release of The Bureau.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    908
    Apparently the job posting is asking for someone that has experience in Unreal Engine 3, Unreal Engine 4 and multiplayer.

    Not sure I like the idea of an online component. If that's how they plan on increasing the re-playability of their games, count me out.

    There are so few developers around that are committed to crafting satisfying single player experiences ... it's kind of sad. Even Valve sold out. Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Dota 2 .... enough with the multiplayer people.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevean View Post
    Apparently the job posting is asking for someone that has experience in Unreal Engine 3, Unreal Engine 4 and multiplayer.
    Hey, maybe they are going to finish off the BSI MP (which seems to have been co-op actually). RIIGHT. sm

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauolo View Post
    Wait, didn't he just leave to create a new studio or did he just reduce his team considerably?
    No, he just cut down the staff to about 10% of what it was when work on BSI was ongoing. He Tweeted about it a while ago and said he didn't know if he was going to keep the Irrational name or not.

    PS I just checked he Senior Programer Job and Multiplayer experience is a PLUS, not a requirement.

    PPS Don't think to much of all this though. IG could have just lost a couple more staff members and is replacing them and this isn't any sort of expansion. sm

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    A lighthouse in Budapest
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick View Post
    Eh. The Black Glove had nice atmosphere, but I'm not paying money for a walking simulator, which is why it didn't reach its Kickstarter goal.
    I don't think it would simply end up as a "walking simulator" in Irrational's hands. I think most people would agree that the shooting parts were not what made the BioShocks so great, nor is it something that IG really excelled at mechanics-wise. I'd be totally happy with puzzle solving.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    347
    They're probably working on another project. 2k owns BS and since they're not working for 2k, they're not working on Infinite's multiplayer.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DeluxedMac View Post
    They're probably working on another project. 2k owns BS and since they're not working for 2k, they're not working on Infinite's multiplayer.
    There's no Infinite multiplayer.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauolo View Post
    There's no Infinite multiplayer.
    Well there was a planned multiplayer but it was scrapped during development.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauolo View Post
    There's no Infinite multiplayer.
    It was Co-Op. but they never finished it. sm

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarmech View Post
    It was Co-Op. but they never finished it. sm
    I know that, there's still a few lines about it in the files.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    And from Levine himself on Twitter

    https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/539316535832379392
    Any chance of seeing multiplayer completed one day for Bioshock Infinite? ---No.
    Other stuff I noticed on the Twitter. He IS still going to rename Irrational Games, just has yet to decide what (Almosst though). And he planning to do more talks "Plans to do any more talks? --working on one! it's going to piss people off, i think."
    Last edited by Solarmech; 12-01-2014 at 09:21 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,333
    As of today they are looking to hire a senior animator.
    http://irrationalgames.com/uncategor...nior-animator/

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    908
    Kind of bizarre that Ken is still keeping the Irrational name (at least for the foreseeable future) when there was that big hullabaloo about the company closing. Which one is it?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevean View Post
    Kind of bizarre that Ken is still keeping the Irrational name (at least for the foreseeable future) when there was that big hullabaloo about the company closing. Which one is it?
    I guess the company is still his, only restructuring it from making AAA games to making smaller projects for 2K. Its like the reverse situation when 2K became their publisher, Irrational Games temporarily changed their name to 2K Boston during their development on BioShock.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    3,493
    Levine has said recently that he is close to choosing the new name. No clue on when though. sm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •