Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Changes (Updated 10/20)

Upcoming Changes (Updated 10/20)

You guys have been asking for an update about what we're working on to improve the game, and today I am happy to give it to you.

This is the list of updates to the game that the developers have been working on the past couple weeks. This isn't necessarily the complete patch notes for the next patch, but it's what I have so far.

Keep in mind that these are just the first batch of changes that will go in to the first major patch. We're planning more improvements (such as the much-asked-for Hotseat and Pitboss) that will be coming in a later patch.

10/14 UPDATE: More changes have been added to the list! Check them out below!

Also, many people have been asking for an ETA on when this patch will be released. I said I'd do what I can to get some sort of ETA and now I have it for you. However! I am about to do something I don't normally like to do: Give an ETA. Big emphasis on the E. So what I am about to tell you is the current estimation of when it will be available. This patch is not done with testing at the current time, and most everyone in software development has experienced the dreaded last minute showstopper bug that forces a delay. This could happen! So, with all of that in mind:
    The patch will be available as early as the week of 10/18.

10/20 UPDATE: Even more changes have been added to the list! Check them out below!

UI
    • Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.
    • Aircraft banner corrections – now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
    • Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.
    • Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.
    • Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.
    • Fix for full-screen game when running dual monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the “open” side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.
    • Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.
    • Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen. Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.
    • Auto-populate save menu with save file name
    • Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen
    • Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen
    • Added new tab to the Economic Overview Screen: "Resources & Happiness." (new 10/14)
    • Added option to activate the mp score list in single player (for “always up” score similar to Civ IV.) (new 10/14)
    • The Annex/Puppet/Raze popup now indicates how much extra Unhappiness will be assumed with each action. (new 10/14)
    • If there are less than 5 buildings still needed to construct a National Wonder, the production popup tool-tip now lists which cities lack them. (new 10/20)
    • Added Yield & Culture tool-tip info to the production popup. (new 10/20)
    • Tweak information on the Global Politics tab in the Diplomacy Overview screen. (new 10/20)

MODDING
    • Category list now displays correctly
    • “Installed” panel now displays ALL versions of a mod but prevents the user from enabling multiple versions. (new 10/14)

GAMEPLAY
    • Workers - Added option to force workers to ignore manually made improvements (so they don’t change what you decide was best for a plot).
    • Workers - Fixed bug where number of turns to complete were incorrect in build action button tool-tip.
    • Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.
    • Economy – Increased city wealth setting to 25%
    • Economy – Multiple fixes to the way trade-routes are tabulated and recognized.
    • Economy - Can now sell Buildings in a city (to help lower maintenance for obsolete buildings later in the game).
    • Trade – Found and corrected a Trade problem that could cause your Resource inventory to multiply.
    • City States - Fixed a bug where you could not gift aircraft to city states.
    • Military - Medic promotion now only provides healing bonus for adjacent units.
    • Military – Fix for Minuteman movement.
    • Military – Correct promotions for “archer-like” units (horse archers, chariots).
    • Military - Embarked units will no longer slow enemy land units
    • Military - Improved unit cycling logic. Camera will jump around much less.
    • Balance - Engineers +1 hammer
    • Balance - Disbanding units now provides only 10% of their production cost in gold. (new 10/20)
    • Request – Enable “one more turn” button if you lose, but are still alive. (new 10/20)

AI
    • Military – Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.) .
    • Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often
    • Military – Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces
    • Diplomacy – AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.
    • Diplomacy – Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).
    • City – City specialization and city focus improvements.
    • City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected
    • Workers – Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements
    • Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.
    • City - Make sure Puppets don't construct buildings that require Resources. (new 10/14)
    • City - Add a Puppet city strategy that turns off training buildings and emphasizes gold. (new 10/14)
    • Military – Defensive tactical AI update. When you are at war and threatening an enemy city, the AI will better utilize the garrison, as well as the surrounding terrain in defense of the target city. (new 10/20)

MULTIPLAYER
    • Exploit – Fix for gifting unit exploit
    • Chat – Color-coding, sound alerts, etc., added for in-game chat system, including a larger window.
    • Deals – Additional deal validation put in place to verify deals before they are committed

MISC
    • Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
    • Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
    • Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
    • Map – Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
    • Map – Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)
    • Strategic View – Crash fix for units rendering in background.
    • Strategic View – Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.
    • Eyefinity – Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.
    • Tutorials – Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.
    • Multiple crash fixes.
    • Taller than wide map crash fix. (new 10/14)

When the patch is actually released I'll unstick and close this thread.
    Last edited by 2K Greg; 10-20-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Quite a comprehensive list, more than I'd hoped for from the initial patch, some of the things listed sound very positive I'll spend some time dissecting it later.

First thing that sticks out as missing though is - no word on optimising the huge issues with turn slowdowns (mainly worker-based)?

Edit:
    Ok spent a bit more time reading through;
    * Great news about some of the crash fixes. Hope these cover the really common ones (eg map generation of huge maps for tiny islands and other scripts that generate many small island types crashes for many people).
    * Infinite peace treaty fixed - yay. This is a big killer for many people.
    * Option for workers to ignore improvements already done - yay.
    * Save/load corruption (and huge files full of useless junk ever increasing) fixed - yay.
    * The blood splats (red dots) fixed - minor but annoying thing, glad that's fixed.
    * ability to disable auto unit cycling - thank god

No specific mention of the 69 city limit crash - is that fixed? Is that covered in the "Misc crash fixes"?

Hopefully FUTURE patches can work on making the AI actually decent, and then optimising turn speeds (see my own thread on worker tests here) but this first round of knocking out the bugs etc. is ofc the early priority, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Azzer007; 10-12-2010 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks Greg

Thank you!

"Auto-populate save menu with save file name"

Can someone explain what this means?
    Last edited by Freygea; 10-12-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Thank you. I hope the 70 city disaster comes under 'multiple crash fixes'.
    Last edited by Abel Goodparley; 10-12-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzer007 View Post
    No specific mention of the 69 city limit crash - is that fixed? Is that covered in the "Misc crash fixes"?
    I'll ask if this is one of the crash fixes.

Also an absolutely necessary UI fix thgat I didn't notice listed - the ability to DISABLE auto-unit cycling.
    It's in the list!

This looks great - I didn't expect to see AI improvements in the first patch, but I'm thrilled about them. Really looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    It's in the list!
    JUST noticed - quite a long list, easy to miss things (which is a good thing, if it was a short list it'd be a bit disappointing :P). Not that many people complained about auto-cycling, but it's a major pet peeve of mine. Going to be so much nicer controlling battle-fronts without auto-unit-cycle disrupting things. By the way - do kick some arse about the AI's worker optimisation code next time you're passing community comments over to the devs; if that gets some serious optimising done to it, and turn speeds dramatically increase, there'll be a lot of love to go around.

Thank you for the communication.

MISC
    [*]Save/Load – Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
    I reckon this is the 201159 FINAL_RELEASE savegame bloat-issue being fixed, yes? If so, then I will finally be able to play again. Hoping for a patch the coming weekend

Are the red & white checker boards that sometimes display for the terrain overlay included in the map graphic fixes? Not game breaking but EXTREMELY annoying.

Also, I'm not overly optimistic about the AI - only a couple minor fixes mentioned. The way the AI uses units in combat needs a big overhaul. Range units should not march up to the front line etc.

well done! Keep patching up and i might reconsider buying the game.

Greg,

Thank you very much for the update. I think this is what lots of us were looking for

It's very nice to see an official tally of what is going on.

I'll ask if this is one of the crash fixes.
    Fingers crossed! This is the only big one affecting me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie View Post
    Are the red & white checker boards that sometimes display for the terrain overlay included in the map graphic fixes? Not game breaking but EXTREMELY annoying.

Also, I'm not overly optimistic about the AI - only a couple minor fixes mentioned. The way the AI uses units in combat needs a big overhaul. Range units should not march up to the front line etc.
    I am pretty sure the problem you mention is the 4th change in the MISC section. I'll see if I can get a clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Freygea View Post
    Thank you!

I think this means the save file name that comes up will be filled in. Hopefully they will include the date and time as part of the file name.

It will be a good patch. But what about multiplayer animations?
    And Skiping Intro?

Quote Originally Posted by Freygea View Post
    Thank you!

First of all: thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated.

But I was wondering what that auto-populate the save menu meant as well.
    It doesn't sound like it, but I was hoping to sort the save games by date / turn, after one of the next patches.

EDIT: ahh, think I got an idea: when you click save, the name of the savegame will be preset to "leader_turn_date", wich would be the most easy fix for my sorting problem.
    Last edited by Muscle; 10-12-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruzen View Post
    And Skiping Intro?
    You can't skip the intro?

I can, but it takes a little while. (usually the video starts, and by the time I can see the very top of the old guys head, it skips it)

I always figured they were using the time that the video played to load game data in the background, and you were able to skip it, as soon as the game data was done loading (Sort of like the world building "in the beginning, the earth was withoutform and void" scene in Civ 1 that ran when it was creating the map - quite a difficult task for a 286... You could skip this sequence as soon as the map was generated in the background.)

Quote Originally Posted by ruzen View Post
    And Skiping Intro?
    Multiplayer animations is something that the developers are looking in to, but at this point it is not known whether or not it will be added to the game. It definitely won't be in the first patch. As soon as I know one way or another I will let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    I always figured they were using the time that the video played to load game data in the background, and you were able to skip it, as soon as the game data was done loading (Sort of like the world building "in the beginning, the earth was withoutform and void" scene in Civ 1 that ran when it was creating the map - quite a difficult task for a 286... You could skip this sequence as soon as the map was generated in the background.)
    This is exactly correct. There is a way to disable the intro videos detailed in this thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88587

This will cause you to get a black screen while it loads instead of the video.

Thank you for the communication.

This looks good. Even though I know it doesn't bother some people, the quick fixes for the camera auto-select are much appreciated.

Can sell buildings!!!! SWEET!

Thanks for posting this, Greg.
    Last edited by MinoanGuy; 10-19-2010 at 02:26 AM.

thanks a lot Greg!

And if you guys need some inspiration on what the people else need fixed, you know the "complete list":

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=384268

This is exactly correct. There is a way to disable the intro videos detailed in this thread: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88587

This will cause you to get a black screen while it loads instead of the video.
    If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion, maybe once a mouse is clicked, or enter or esc is pressed the video can stop and go to a "Loading: Please Wait" screen until all the data is loaded?

The reason I suggest this, is because users usually get frustrated when they don't get any feedback when pushing buttons and can't tell what is going on.

(Still trying to remember some of my menu hierarchy, and human factors engineering courses from college )

ah, Greg, and PLEASE could you ask for moddability improvement?
    So we are able to mod graphics?

Thanks for the info Greg. Much more comprehensive changes than I expected this early. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

In the UI section of the list, I had hoped to see a fix for the simple problem of all advanced game settings being forgotten/reset to defaults each time we play a new game. I'd have thought this was a quite simple one to sort - and something that is bugging a lot of people!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
    In the UI section of the list, I had hoped to see a fix for the simple problem of all advanced game settings being forgotten/reset to defaults each time we play a new game. I'd have thought this was a quite simple one to sort - and something that is bugging a lot of people!
    Good point. A simple, but much appreciated UI fix would be auto-remembering ALL of the selections made in advanced settings.

Also a "regenerate map" button available in the in-game menu on the FIRST TURN, to help those trying to run for OCC's but getting an abysmal start etc. (or just those that find it more fun to play with a good start).

Wink

Wow, what a patch, i'm very excited for the improvement on selling buildings, it should be very useful to deal with income and happiness. I also look forward to future patches dealing with diplomacy and usage of the air force in which case both of them are boring to use and unrealistic (just build one and you got the biggest air force in the world against the AI... And come on, if land units can destroy tiles, why not air too?)
    Last edited by ManOverGame; 10-12-2010 at 04:41 AM.

How about the long lag after each turn in huge map? Will it ever ever ever ever be fixed?

Definitely some shtuff to look forward too...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
    Thanks for the info Greg. Much more comprehensive changes than I expected this early. Looking forward to seeing them in action.
    Second this. I was expecting to see stability fixes this early in the game. I wasnt expecting to see gameplay improvements quite yet.

That being said, while the coders are busy fixing stability problems, the game developers have to do something. Might as well through those game play improvements in there.

I was wondering if it would be possible to better contrast roads and railroads. I recently played several hours of a game with one tile still a road on my rail system... quite frustrating to think how much quicker my units could've been moving. And yes I know the tactical view displays them in gray vs. brown but that is hard to see as well.

Thank you for this update!

Multiplayer animations is something that the developers are looking in to, but at this point it is not known whether or not it will be added to the game. It definitely won't be in the first patch. As soon as I know one way or another I will let you guys know.
    Greg, I guess simul-turns with animations may be a technical problem. And, indeed, it seems that most competitive mp players are content to play without animations.

But it seems from the posts that there is a large section of casual mp players and they (we!) really want animations. My guess is that most casual mp players would be happy to play turn-based mp if it had animations; so a good compromise may be to enable a turn based mode with animations, while maintaining no animations for simul-turns?
    Last edited by JimMac99; 10-12-2010 at 04:49 AM.

I will be there to tell you after the patch whether the terrain caching fix fixes the rapid-map-switch game freeze.

Very important question:

Will current save games be compatible with the new version or we have to start games over?

_
    Last edited by LoHinVar; 10-12-2010 at 04:55 AM.

Will the patch also have the ability to scroll folder and save games wheres we like on our pc, and when loading to able to scroll folder and load games from the folders we like

also will there be a save menu in multiplayer mode (so we don't have to do ctrl-s)

Thanks for the update.

[*]Balance - Engineers +1 hammer
    Will there be other balance changes to the game?
    For example increasing the yield or reducing the cost of certain more or less useless buildings (like watermills). And/or nerfing maritime city state bonuses?
    There are more examples of similar character. For example military buildings like stables are more or less useless with the increased unit costs (you will make much fewer units compared to Civ IV, hence the bonuses are less useful). They need to be cheaper, OR more effective (consider effect vs simply making more military units).

Oh, and by the way - THANKS! This is a GREAT game, despite what's being said by some. Just need some tweaks to be even better.
    Last edited by Haggbart; 10-12-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Typo...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast