Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 60

Thread: We need new info!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827

    We need new info!

    Hey, your the PR manager, can you push Gearbox for some info Liz? We are going nuts waiting for something...its as if they cancelled DNF!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
    Hey, your the PR manager, can you push Gearbox for some info Liz? We are going nuts waiting for something...its as if they cancelled DNF!
    No.
    Information will be released by Gearbox and 2K when they are ready. Proper marketing is something that is taken very seriously, and considering it's DNF... it is something that is being given extra care.

    So when the time is right, it will be done right.

    Also, Liz works for 2K... yes, but you can't just ask her for inside info. Joe Siegler is the DNF Community Manager for Gearbox.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827
    Still the info latley has been non existent. I was just hoping Liz could ask them if something new might be shared.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Frolic, Rapture
    Posts
    5,593
    I am still waiting for the Trailer to be approved by the ESRB.. :\

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
    Still the info latley has been non existent. I was just hoping Liz could ask them if something new might be shared.
    As we've been telling everyone at the GBX forums, when the time is right... the information will be shared.
    Asking won't get it out any faster.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by FtRapture View Post
    I am still waiting for the Trailer to be approved by the ESRB.. :\
    looks like that turned out to be a load of horse pocky...

    although they may have forgone the video to keep the age-innappropriate content from the media until the time is right

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
    Hey, your the PR manager, can you push Gearbox for some info Liz? We are going nuts waiting for something...its as if they cancelled DNF!
    I'm the head of community and interactive marketing, certainly not PR.

    However, we are working away like busy bees and new information will be coming - I'm not telling you when, but when it happens, it's going to be awesome and worth the wait.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827
    Ok Miss Elizabeth, I'll take your word on that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
    Ok Miss Elizabeth, I'll take your word on that.
    You better, or else!

    But seriously, it's coming. I promise. I'm actually talking to Gearbox RIGHT NOW on my other monitor. It's good stuff.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827
    Oh man...what I would give to have a peek at that monitor...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The wonderful world of anime
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    You better, or else!

    But seriously, it's coming. I promise. I'm actually talking to Gearbox RIGHT NOW on my other monitor. It's good stuff.
    Are we ever going to get to see the elusive trailer that was shown at PAX?

  12. #12
    Hopefully it's a new trailer with footage of the game in it's recent state.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    "It's coming".
    You said it's coming 3 months ago. Do you now mean like in the upcoming days?! Cause it could also mean it's coming next year.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
    You said it's coming 3 months ago. Do you now mean like in the upcoming days?! Cause it could also mean it's coming next year.
    I don't have a time frame for you guys yet or any special details - but all quote our favorite Chris from the Gearbox forums with this "Just so we're all clear, Duke Nukem Forever won't be shown during the 2010 Spike VGAs. Yes, the game is progressing on schedule and yes, more of will be shown in the near future, but both the game and its fans have been teased enough across the years. The next time we "bring it," as Duke himself would say, it will be something a bit more significant than a thirty-second television clip." http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...3&postcount=86 - It's coming!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1puSs...ature=youtu.be

    So your marketing department send Duke gifts to game reviewers...is this the start of a viral marketing campaign leading into a proper marketing campaign?

  16. #16
    It means they don't love us.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827
    I think if we're paitent, good things will come. 2011 is right around the corner...mabye they will give us something after the new year.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24
    But it's Christmas!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    I don't have a time frame for you guys yet or any special details - but all quote our favorite Chris from the Gearbox forums with this "Just so we're all clear, Duke Nukem Forever won't be shown during the 2010 Spike VGAs. Yes, the game is progressing on schedule and yes, more of will be shown in the near future, but both the game and its fans have been teased enough across the years. The next time we "bring it," as Duke himself would say, it will be something a bit more significant than a thirty-second television clip." http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...3&postcount=86 - It's coming!
    It's really is a joke when you guys say stuff like "near future" anymore.

    There is about a dozen incarnations of "soon" and "very soon" over the last months.
    It's totally to the point where you have completely and totally devalued any kind of reference to a short time frame.

    In my opinion, you can say "near future" every damn day, and I can't tell if you actually mean within my lifetime. Marketing monkeys don't realize that if you imply that we should be checking for big news every day, and then we get nothing for months, it actually has a negative impact on promotion. Say "BOO" enough times, and I won't even flinch.

    Please just leave the "near future", and "stay tuned" BS wording out of those responses and just tell us you're working on it. That way if you do say something is coming very soon I can actually be excited about it appropriately. Even the new magazine previews were a little short on any substance, and seems like a wasted opportunity.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The wonderful world of anime
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    It's really is a joke when you guys say stuff like "near future" anymore.

    There is about a dozen incarnations of "soon" and "very soon" over the last months.
    It's totally to the point where you have completely and totally devalued any kind of reference to a short time frame.

    In my opinion, you can say "near future" every damn day, and I can't tell if you actually mean within my lifetime. Marketing monkeys don't realize that if you imply that we should be checking for news every day, and then we get nothing for months, it actually has a negative impact on promotion. Say "BOO" enough times, and I won't even flinch.

    Please just leave the "near future", and "stay tuned" BS wording out of those responses and just tell us you're working on it. That way if you do say something is coming very soon I can actually be excited about it appropriately.
    There will be info sometime in the next 12 years!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by I-ChooseTheImpossible View Post
    There will be info sometime in the next 12 years!
    They'll give out more info when pigs fly. Give them time to get things sorted out as DNF is a big game to show to the world.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,646
    Personally, they can take their time and I'm not really going to worry. I mean regardless of what they show/don't show the only thing - the only thing - that matters here is the game actually coming out. Until it exists and I am playing it I will never acknowledge it as being real.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    Personally, they can take their time and I'm not really going to worry. I mean regardless of what they show/don't show the only thing - the only thing - that matters here is the game actually coming out. Until it exists and I am playing it I will never acknowledge it as being real.
    Gearbox and Take2 really don't deserve for us to believe in them. I acknowledge it being real, but that's probably not rational for this game. That little run through at PAX was real - Some Jace Hall stuff was real - but the whole game being real... ha - we're going on faith there.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Mall, Fort Frolic
    Posts
    1,827
    You know things are bad when we start questioning if DNF actually exists...again. This is what happens when regular media updates are not existent, and then it begins to lose it's fanbase. DN3D Gamers stop coming to the forums, and go elsewhere. It doesnt bother me that much, I'm sure it will really come out.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
    You know things are bad when we start questioning if DNF actually exists...again. This is what happens when regular media updates are not existent, and then it begins to lose it's fanbase. DN3D Gamers stop coming to the forums, and go elsewhere. It doesnt bother me that much, I'm sure it will really come out.
    We wouldn't have already given you guys hands on if it didn't exist! I know you guys want more, but we want to make sure we can give you the good stuff - you'll like what we have planned.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6
    Must remember good things come to those who wait....and wait some more :P. Ugh I'm ready, lets do this!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    We wouldn't have already given you guys hands on if it didn't exist! I know you guys want more, but we want to make sure we can give you the good stuff - you'll like what we have planned.
    Making sure of what?

    Just throw up some dang screenies, and take the dang gag off so we can have some small talk interaction about the game. Lot's of games do it, and it's not rocket science.

    I'd like to tell you right now that there is no community building going on at the developer pages, and all we get is some theories about how healthy it is to remain silent. That it'll spoil us - or spoil the game....

    We bought the demo combo pack, and we're pre-ordering, yet months go by with nothing. Even the media releases are cryptic. I swear the dang screenshots they used in the magazine article were the actual leaked shots we had in ..... like 2009

    Funny thing is I would be on your side against the inevitable crowd that always asks for more - but this polarizes us until the vast majority wonders what's going on.

    Does the game really exist?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    Making sure of what?

    Just throw up some dang screenies, and take the dang gag off so we can have some small talk interaction about the game. Lot's of games do it, and it's not rocket science.

    I'd like to tell you right now that there is no community building going on at the developer pages, and all we get is some theories about how healthy it is to remain silent. That it'll spoil us - or spoil the game....

    We bought the demo combo pack, and we're pre-ordering, yet months go by with nothing. Even the media releases are cryptic. I swear the dang screenshots they used in the magazine article were the actual leaked shots we had in ..... like 2009

    Funny thing is I would be on your side against the inevitable crowd that always asks for more - but this polarizes us until the vast majority wonders what's going on.

    Does the game really exist?
    The game totally exists - and I'm working really closely with Gearbox - I'm headed down there next week to set up a bunch of stuff. It's going to start rolling out (I will not use the dreaded word "soon" here except in this parenthetical) and if you want to PM me anything more specific you want to see, we can work on that too.

  29. #29
    3DRealms showed demos at events in the past and the game never came out. It is still vaporware until it comes out. This silence is stupid and usually (but not always) doesn't mean anything good. There are people who have told Gearbox they won't be buying the game since 2K is involved (Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2 handled poorly, Civ 5 released as pretty much a beta state), and with nothing being talked about with DNF, I think this is being handled badly. Clearly Gearbox and 2K don't mind making fans angry with all the silence. It is seen as incompetence by some and I don't blame them.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonknight View Post
    3DRealms showed demos at events in the past and the game never came out. It is still vaporware until it comes out. This silence is stupid and usually (but not always) doesn't mean anything good. There are people who have told Gearbox they won't be buying the game since 2K is involved (Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2 handled poorly, Civ 5 released as pretty much a beta state), and with nothing being talked about with DNF, I think this is being handled badly. Clearly Gearbox and 2K don't mind making fans angry with all the silence. It is seen as incompetence by some and I don't blame them.
    3D Realms NEVER showed demos at any events. They showed two trailers at E3, one being in 1998 and the other in 2001.
    Why are you complaining about 'the silence'? The game was just toured around the world and showed at several events in playable form. The game is being released this year, there is no silence. There is more information, screenshots and so on coming this year as well as a demo of the game and of course the game itself. Just be patient because I assure you, more stuff is coming.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonknight View Post
    3DRealms showed demos at events in the past and the game never came out. It is still vaporware until it comes out. This silence is stupid and usually (but not always) doesn't mean anything good. There are people who have told Gearbox they won't be buying the game since 2K is involved (Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2 handled poorly, Civ 5 released as pretty much a beta state), and with nothing being talked about with DNF, I think this is being handled badly. Clearly Gearbox and 2K don't mind making fans angry with all the silence. It is seen as incompetence by some and I don't blame them.
    Well, from that standpoint, if the game is vaporware until it comes out, talking about it won't help that either! Regardless, we're going to go in circles about this until new info *does* surface, so until then, you'll have to take my word for it. We have a plan!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16
    Here's an idea!

    How about we start a group and agree to buy the game pre-owned during the first week of retail? We will all save 5 bucks a pop and I think a little bit of sales damage is exactly what this publisher deserves after the way they have handled this whole thing.

    I wanted to see alot more marketing for this game than what 2K has given us. Since PAX, all we have had is Randy doing the same interview time after time - every interview giving the vibe that the publisher has a major gagging order over anything interesting he is asked.

    This is not because im some excited school boy who has no understanding of controlled hype or marketing strategies or anything like that. This is because i want everyone to know about the Duke! The sooner the trailer and screenshots and demo hit, the more people who know the name before the release, the more people buy the game, the more chance of dlc and a quality sequel.

    But 2K, in all their wisdom seem to know better. And i would expect them to, but im really not seeing the logic here. Can you explain IN DETAIL the point behind this strategy? Like, whats the goal? Because as it stands, I'm becoming increasingly anti-2K and although nothing in the world will stop me from buying DNF, hitting back at a disrespectful publisher by buying pre owned will give me a sense of justice in my own sad little way :s

  33. #33
    @ibetonduke:

    There's nothing wrong with waiting until you can buy a pre-owned copy. That's what some people do when they don't like a company or don't like how a game is being treated. That is why there are people who (after Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2 mishandling) won't buy any more games involving 2K. Some don't like Electronic Arts (as one example) and wait until they can get a pre-owned copy. That is what I do with EA, and now with 2K. I (and others) have told Gearbox we won't get Duke Nukem Forever unless we get a pre-owned copy. 2K has done things that makes some people not buy the games they are involved with. So buy a pre-owned copy later. Nothing wrong with that.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    I swear the dang screenshots they used in the magazine article were the actual leaked shots we had in ..... like 2009
    Uh... no. They're not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonknight View Post
    3DRealms showed demos at events in the past and the game never came out. It is still vaporware until it comes out. This silence is stupid...
    Even if they weren't silent about it, people would still think it's vaporware until it's actually released .

    Quote Originally Posted by ibetonduke View Post
    hitting back at a disrespectful publisher by buying pre owned will give me a sense of justice in my own sad little way :s
    You're right... you are sad.


    The game is finally coming out THIS YEAR and people seem to be ☺☺☺☺☺ing more than ever.

    Elizabeth said stuff is planned (thanks for letting us know ) and we will be seeing that... You'll get your damn cookies.



    Oh, and Elizabeth... Duke Nukem 3D's 15th Anniversary is coming up on Jan, 29th. Seems like a pretty good day to show something off.
    Last edited by Caekzor; 01-04-2011 at 12:31 AM.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Caekzor View Post
    Uh... no. They're not.
    Whatever man...
    Looking back now, as it turns out, shows several recent shots in media and magazines have been from 2009 leaks.
    and the MaximumPC shots were not all new, two out of 5 or 6 that it has on the site version were from what we seen in the demo (and we've seen the back of the truck from every angle now, even found slight updates in the texture or some dang thing.) , and then they showed leaked and ancient shots... in another article (I forgot which), but I have to laugh every time the picture of the Duke in the coal car (that has been featured in the media) comes up and people still think it's new... PC Gamer featured only concept drawings.

    I don't know where you've been, but DNF fans have been pouring over the same batch of leaked screenies that surfaced a long time ago. There has been a very small handful of media in the months since Gearbox got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caekzor View Post

    Even if they weren't silent about it, people would still think it's vaporware until it's actually released .
    I wouldn't - "some" people might - but "some" people will believe Randy Pitchford and George Broussard are twins, and this is all a conspiracy... What does it matter? If you're trying to claim it won't change what most people believe, you are wrong.... and it would dramatically change those who have lost patience over the last couple months. Several posters like me have switched to talking about vaporware again, and many more know what we are talking about - we've seen this before - with Duke - with other games that never made it - as the chasm grows, our leap of faith will only reach across so far.

    As far as fixing those who fealt disregarded with some awesome game release - I'm one of the few who isn't all smitten about the lawsuit. Take2 did what they felt they had to do. But right now I've got a bit of a grudge, and sorry, I've already got an earful for them whether or not the game ever makes it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caekzor View Post


    Oh, and Elizabeth... Duke Nukem 3D's 15th Anniversary is coming up on Jan, 29th. Seems like a pretty good day to show something off.
    and the pot calls the kettle black.
    Last edited by KO Gilligan; 01-04-2011 at 03:33 AM.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    The game totally exists - and I'm working really closely with Gearbox - I'm headed down there next week to set up a bunch of stuff. It's going to start rolling out (I will not use the dreaded word "soon" here except in this parenthetical) and if you want to PM me anything more specific you want to see, we can work on that too.
    I think most of us would like to see things that would be better off as a surprise, and out of detracting hands, but yes, I'll send you a PM in hopes that you blow us away with something a bit more significant "soon".

    In the meantime, you can't figure everything out with a combination of empirical ideals and spreadsheet theory. Once in a while you have to see what it means to excel above those things which are status quo, and not take people for granted as being predictable. Instead of just marketing to the gaming community, they ought to join us in expanding it, or at the very least, allow the development team to do so.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,646
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    We wouldn't have already given you guys hands on if it didn't exist
    Personally, after being on the 3drealms forums for billions of years and now watching it here only one thing you do matters. Only one. The game is on my computer being played by me. Anything else just isn't going to get me interested at all by this point. So many years of "The game is going to come out" and "We will have new info soon" etc just has me so jaded, nothing except the games release will suffice for me.

    Which makes the complaining about info rather bemusing, because I would honestly not bother and just focus on releasing the game.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Frolic, Rapture
    Posts
    5,593
    As with every game release that I have seen from 2k they have a plan and timeframe for everything they release, I am certain we will get information and plenty of other madness exactly when they want us to.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by FtRapture View Post
    As with every game release that I have seen from 2k they have a plan and timeframe for everything they release, I am certain we will get information and plenty of other madness exactly when they want us to.
    Well count me in as ready for the madness. When I first heard "early 2011" echo all over the net, I figured the media would be flying - in that regard it was a short time until release and it meant they had to have a fully loaded hype train by now, and since time is money, I was thinking there was no way it could take a year to port this thing on to the consoles.

    But since they did say that they would have the demo ready for all the platforms at once, perhaps the same goes for everything. We get nothing until 2K is holding gold... and early 2011 is a bit too optimistic. I'd just love to hear some of the more trivial details of the goings ons.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    Whatever man...
    You weren't specific. Gearbox did give the magazine(s) some new shots. Yes I know some magazines decided to use older shots. But they used that on their own.

    Quote Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
    and the pot calls the kettle black.
    I never said I didn't want any new media.

    I'm just not being a dick about it.

    If they don't show anything this month I won't ☺☺☺☺☺ and whine about it all over the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •